Nacho Cheese Doritos Locos Tacos
Nacho Cheese Doritos Locos Tacos is a dish that comes from the combination of two famous brands of American cuisines; Doritos and Taco Bell. It is basically a crispy taco shell made from the famed nacho cheese-flavored tortilla chip. You can find two menu items with the Nacho Cheese Doritos-flavored taco shells; one is the Doritos Locos Tacos, with seasoned ground beef, shredded lettuce, and shredded cheddar cheese (170 calories each) and the other is Doritos Locos Tacos Supreme that includes all the above ingredients with diced tomatoes and reduced-fat sour cream (200 calories each). The prices may vary depending upon the locations of the franchise.
IngredientsAs this dish features two menu items, the ingredients are going to be really interesting and delicious. Let us discuss the exact quantity of the ingredients that you need to prepare this exotic mouth-watering dish.
- 1 cup dehydrated cheddar cheese powder
- 1/2 cup tomato powder
- 3 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1/8 cup of red bell pepper powder
- 1 Tablespoon of green pepper granulated or powder
- 1/8 cup of garlic powder
- 1/8 cup of onion powder
- 2 teaspoons of ancho chili powder
- 2 teaspoons of Kernel Season’s nacho cheddar popcorn seasoning
- 1 cup of masa harina de maiz
- 2/3 cup of hot water
- 1 lb ground beef
- chopped tomatoes
- shredded cheddar cheese
- shredded lettuce
- sour cream
- Taco Bell taco seasoning
Method of Preparation of Nacho Cheese Doritos Locos Tacos
- To make the taco shells add the Doritos, flour, masa harina, nacho cheese powder, salt, and baking powder to a food processor. Process all these ingredients until the Doritos break down into fine crumbs. Then, slowly pour in the melted lard and water to the fine crumbs in the processor. Again process all these ingredients until the dough comes together in a ball shape.
- Keep the dough in a piece of plastic wrap by shaping it into a disc. Wrap and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Then grease 2–3 baking sheets with non-stick spray.
- Make a thin tortilla by pressing down one dough ball with the help of a skillet. You can do this by keeping the dough ball between 2 sheets of parchment paper or plastic wrap. Meanwhile, keep the rest of the dough covered to prevent them from drying out.
- Cook for 1–2 minutes per side, until they become lightly browned.
- Keep the cooked tortilla in a large bowl and cover the same to keep warm while you cook the rest of the tortillas. It will remain soft and moist with the steam.
- Place the tortillas in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets to bake them for 3 minutes, until they become crisp. Carefully fold the tortillas into taco holders to set them into the shell shape while they are hot. Sprinkle more nacho cheese powder on the tortillas. Let them cool while you prepare the filling.
- Add the onion, garlic, and oil to a food processor. Mince them finely by scraping down the sides as for your requirements.
- Transfer the mixture to a large pan and cook over medium-low heat until they become soft and translucent. It will take 5– 7 minutes.
- Add the ground beef, cumin, coriander, cayenne, garlic powder, granulated onion, paprika, chili powder, beef bouillon, MSG, sugar, and salt. Stir well to combine. Use a masher or whisk to break the meat into small pieces over a high flame. Cook until the beef becomes golden brown and caramelized, which will take approximately about 5 minutes.
- Add ½ cup of water, stirring to scrape up any browned bits.
- Continue to cook for about 10 minutes, until the liquid reduces.
- In a liquid measuring cup or medium bowl, mix together the cornstarch and the remaining 1½ cups water. Add this to the beef mixture and bring to simmer. Cook for 5 minutes until it thickens.
- You can now puree the meat with an immersion blender in the pan.
- To prepare your Nacho cheese Doritos Locos Tacos, place the meat mixture into the taco shells. Garnish with sour cream, shredded lettuce, cheese, and diced tomatoes. Serve them hot.
Nutritional FactsThere are 170 calories in a Nacho Cheese Doritos Locos Taco from Taco Bell, most of which comes from fat (49%). Let us know all the nutrients that you can find in Nacho Cheese Doritos Locos Tacos.
Serving Size: 1 taco
- Calories: 170
- Calories from fat: 80
- Total fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 3.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 25mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 13g
- Dietary Fiber:3g
- Protein: 8g
- Vitamin A: 6%
- Vitamin C: 0%
- Calcium: 6%
- Iron: 6%