How to make Cinnamon Twists
Cinnamon twists are a popular desert available at Taco Bell restaurants. They are basically a variation on cinnamon rolls. This mouth watering desert is prepared with dough to which cinnamon and sugar is added, and then each dough strip is twisted to get a spiral shape. If you want to prepare this dish at home then you can either fry or bake these twists, depending on the instructions of the recipe. In the end you will get a sweet, long twisted stick of dough with the taste of cinnamon.
Some cinnamon twists have light and crunchy taste, such as the Mexican variation. However, you will find other category of Cinnamon twists that are more dense and soft, like the Danish variation. You can eat Cinnamon Twists any time of the day, as a dessert, breakfast dish, or snack.
You can have this dish at Taco Bell restaurants. However, if you crave for these twisted deserts at any time you cannot reach a restaurant, then you can go through the following recipe of Cinnamon Twists that you can prepare at home using a few simple ingredients.
Let us know all the ingredients that you need to prepare this exotic dish.
- 275g whole milk
- 40g unsalted cubed butter
- 500g strong white flour; 100g extra for dusting
- 7g dried active yeast
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 small egg
- 1 egg, beaten, for glazing the cinnamon twists
For the filling
- 75g melted butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 3 tsp ground cinnamon
For the coating
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
Method of Preparation
- Heat the milk and butter in a small pan until the butter has melted and mix together. Allow this mixture to cool slightly; the milk should not be hot. Add the flour in a large bowl. Add a pinch of salt to the flour on one side of the bowl and yeast on the other side of the bowl. The yeast should not touch the salt.
- Add the sugar, and then mix all the ingredients together.
- Add warm milk into this flour mixture, gradually mixing them with your hands until you get sticky dough. Do not add all the milk. Add the egg and continue to mix until all the ingredients combine together.
- Dust a flat surface with flour and take a small part of the dough. Knead the dough for around 10 mins until you get smooth dough. Lightly sprinkle a bowl with flour and keep the prepared dough inside this bowl for 1 hour or until they become double in size.
- To prepare the filling, mix the melted butter, sugar and cinnamon together until you get a smooth texture. Keep it aside.
- Sprinkle some flour on a flat surface and roll the dough to around a 30 x 40cm rectangle. Spread the filling over the rectangle shaped dough using a palette knife until you cover the dough completely.
- Fold the dough in half width-wise and cut into 16-18 strips down the shortest side. Now is the important step to twist both ends of each strip in opposite directions until you achieve spiral shape forms.
- Wrap the rest of the dough around one end by holding this end in your hands. Press the ends into the bottom of the bun so that it doesn’t open during cooking.
- Keep two lined baking trays, maintaining a 5cm distance from each other. Place the cinnamon twists on them. Leave for 30-45 mins.
- Heat the oven to 190C. Brush the tops of the buns with a little egg and bake for 18-20 mins until they become golden. The cinnamon butter may come out a little, but do not panic.
- Mix together the sugar and cinnamon for coating. While still warm, toss the buns in the sugar mixture. Serve Immediately.
There are 170 calories in Cinnamon Twists from Taco Bell. Most of those calories come from carbohydrates (67%).
Serving Size: 35 gm
- Calories: 170
- Calories From Fat: 50
- Total Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 0.0g
- Trans Fat: 0.0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 210mg 9%
- Total Carbohydrates: 27g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Sugars: 13g
- Protein: 1g
- Vitamin A: 0%
- Vitamin C: 0%
- Calcium: 0%
- Iron: 0%
*All percent daily value figures are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Reviewed June 13, 2017, via mobile
See my review of the same date for Taco Johns. The twists are light, airy, and not super sweet. They can be shared among 2-4 people. Service was fairly fast, friendly staff. Prices good, but some higher than other Taco Bell in the area. Marcydiner tantrum scale of 5/5-no screaming kids.
Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed December 4, 2017, via mobile
This is the second time we’ve gone to this particular Taco Bell without receiving the cinnamon twists we paid for. We got the 12-pack tacos and every single one came apart at the bottom, making it difficult to eat. We used to like coming here as a late night option but it may become a last resort.
Date of visit: December 2017
Reviewed October 20, 2016, via mobile
We needed a quick bite to eat once we got to the hotel. Taco Bell hit the spot, we enjoyed our chicken tacos and cinnamon twists.
Date of visit: August 2016
A Taco Bell employee has posted a video that features how the fast food chain’s Cinnamon Twists are made.
On June 14, 2020, the TikTok user 071823abcm posted a step-by-step tutorial of how Taco Bell employees make the delicious dessert in Taco Bell’s Kitchen.
“According to 071823abcm, the first thing you have to do when you make Cinnamon Twists is throw some noodles in the fryer,” reported by Yahoo Life
The Most Popular Queries
Are cinnamon twists tasty?
Ans: Taco Bell’s Cinnamon Twists feature the goodness of a cinnamon roll but are little more fun to eat. They are long and twisted in shape. This desert is mouth watering and is one of the best selling menus of Taco Bell chain.