Chips and Queso Dip
How to make Chips and Queso Dip
Chips and Queso Dip from Del Taco features a cup of queso made with cheese, milk, jalapenos, and heavy cream served with tortilla chips for dipping.
If you want to prepare this recipe at home, you can go through our recipe that we have created for your convenience. Before knowing all the methods of preparation, you need to know the ingredients for preparing this dish.
We have divided the ingredients into two parts; one for chips preparation and the other is for queso dip preparation. You can go through the ingredients that we have enlisted here to prepare this recipe at home.
For Tortilla Chips
- 12 corn tortillas
- vegetable oil
- kosher salt
For Queso dip
- 2.5 cups / 225 g Cheddar cheese, freshly shredded
- 1 tbsp corn flour / corn starch
- ½ tbsp butter
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- ¼ small white onion, very finely chopped (1/4 cup)
- 1 can of evaporated milk
- 1 small tomato, finely diced (3/4 cup)
- ¼ tsp each onion powder, garlic powder, cumin
- 1 can chopped green chile, fire roasted (apprx 100gms)
- ¼ cup coriander / cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 - 3 tbsp milk
Method of Preparation
For Chips Preparation
- Cut the corn tortillas into small triangle shapes just like the chips with a pizza cutter.
- Heat oil in a pan over low-medium heat.
- Gently put the tortilla chips in the oil to fry the chips.
- Flip the sides and fry until the chips are cooked properly
- If you do not want to fry the chips in oil, you can microwave them.
Queso Dip preparation
- In a bowl add cheese and corn flour. Toss well to coat.
- Place a large saucepan on a gas stove. Add butter and heat over medium heat.
- After the butter melts, add garlic and onion, sauté slowly for about 3 minutes or until onion becomes translucent. Do not overcook or brown the onion.
- Add diced tomato to the onion and cook for 2 minutes until it becomes slightly softened.
- Then pour in evaporated milk and cheese. Stir occasionally. Then add chiles and Spices.
- Continue to stir until cheese melts and you get a silky sauce.
- Then season the sauce with salt. If there is salt in cheese, then adjust the quantity of salt accordingly.
- Add milk or water to adjust the consistency of the sauce, as the dip will thicken after it cools. You can also add more milk to adjust the taste.
- After you are finished with the sauce, remove from heat. You can serve the dip warm or let it cool down to room temperature before you serve it with chips.
- You can store the dip in the refrigerator. When kept in freeze, the dip gets the consistency of the cheese spread sold in jars. To reuse the dip, heat in microwave. You can add more milk to adjust the consistency.
- Do not use pre shredded cheese as there are additives in such type of cheese, which may give you a grainy consistency of queso dip. Always use the freshly grated cheese. You can go for cheddar cheese for this recipe. However, you can use pepper jack instead of cheddar.
- You can also use diced canned tomato. To use this first drain the tomatoes in a bowl and add just ¾ cup of it. You will get the dip in slightly pink colour, if you use canned tomatoes.
- You can use roasted capsicum sold in jars instead of green chile; finely chop the capsicum and add ½ cup of it.
- You can use homemade corn tortillas or store bought chips, whichever is convenient to you.
There are 290 calories in a Regular Chips & Queso Dip from Del Taco chain; most of the calories come from fat (52%) and carbohydrates (40%).
Let us know the approximate amount of all the nutrients available in a regular chips and queso dip from Del Taco.
- Serving Size: 113g
- Calories: 290
- Calories From Fat: 150
- Total Fat: 17g (26%)
- Saturated Fat: 5.0g (25%)
- Trans Fat: 0.0g
- Cholesterol: 15mg (5%)
- Sodium: 570mg (24%)
- Total Carbohydrates: 29g (10%)
- Dietary Fiber: 1g (4%)
- Sugars: 1g
- Protein: 6g (12%)
- Vitamin A: 0%
- Vitamin C: 0%
- Calcium: 0%
- Iron: 0%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Nutritional Facts source:Del Taco
SEP 29, 2017
They're pretty generous with the chips but a little miserly with the dip. The chips filled the bottom of a brown paper bag while the queso dip came in a narrow sauce cup that I couldn't fit more than a corner of a chip in. I ran out of dip with five or six chips left and it's not as if I was going to town on the dip.
The queso blanco was a little watery on top but got thicker and more flavorful a quarter of the way down. There were occasional diced chunks of jalapeno in it that contributed a sporadic and somewhat varied heat.
The chips were thick with a substantial crunch and came judiciously salted. They're ideal for dipping and would stand up pretty well to even the thickest of cheese sauces (which the queso blanco is not).
Overall, Del Taco's new Queso Blanco Dip could stand to be a little richer and just a tad thicker but still made for some enjoyable eating. It basically tastes like a mild pepper jack cheese sauce.
The Most Popular Queries
Is Del Taco’s chips and queso dip gluten free?
Ans: A Del Taco Regular Chips & Queso Dip does not contain egg, fish, gluten, MSG, peanuts, shellfish, tree nuts or wheat. However, most fast food restaurants cannot guarantee that any product is free of allergens as they use shared equipment for prepping foods.
Del Taco dumps cheese pump and launched a new version; Queso blanco
LAKE FOREST, CA: Del Taco Restaurants, Inc., the nation's second leading Mexican quick service restaurant, announced on Aug 29, 2017, the addition of its newest premium offering, Queso Blanco.
The queso blanco features real cheese, real milk, jalapeños and heavy cream, Del Taco's smooth and creamy Queso Blanco will be served at the company's more than 550 restaurants nationwide beginning August 31, 2017.
"With no artificial colors, flavors or preservatives, Queso Blanco will replace Del Taco's nacho cheese, a step that aligns with Del Taco's guest promise to serve quality and flavorful menu items at an unbeatable value," said Barry Westrum, Del Taco's Chief Marketing Officer.
"With the introduction of the New Queso Crunch Taco, we've taken our most successful product introduction -- The Del Taco -- and wrapped it in a warm flour tortilla filled with Queso," Westrum adds. "Queso Blanco represents Del Taco's continued innovation within the premium ingredient space, a strategy that has led to strong results for the brand," Del Taco reports.
Queso Blanco will be featured in menu items like, Queso Crunch Taco, Queso Loaded Nachos, Queso Bean Burrito, Queso Fries, and Chips & Queso Dip